Research has shown that our biases, although often unintended, can influence how we treat patients from minority and marginalized groups. These biases can prevent us from providing equally high-quality care to patients who come from different backgrounds than we do.
This course will give you the knowledge and strategies to help you live your values – treat people fairly and without bias. Most importantly, it includes practical, evidence-based approaches to prevent unintended and implicit biases from affecting your staff, colleagues, and the patients you serve.
In this course, you will learn:
- Findings from the mind sciences on why we unintentionally behave in biased ways that are not consistent with our core values
- How biases negatively impact us and those around us
- The role of unintended bias in the medical diagnostic process
- How our unintentional biases can impact patients’ trust and adherence
- Practical, evidence-based strategies to prevent unintentional biases you can put to work right away